All the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) candidates studying at Tambach Boys’ High School in Elgeyo Marakwet County were on Thursday, October 5 sent home for two weeks after they went on the rampage Wednesday evening demanding to be allowed to use mobile phones while in school.
According to Keiyo North Sub-County director of education, Timothy Odhiambo, the students’ protests inside the school compound nearly turned destructive, forcing the institution’s management to send the learners home.
Mr Odhiambo said the school’s board of directors, acting on an intelligence report, arrived at the decision after learning that the students had already hatched a plan to set on fire several structures within the institution.
“The Form Four students have been restless since January, 2017, and have been bullying their juniors in Form One and Form Two,” said Mr Odhiambo.
The students will report back to school two weeks from October 5, and sit for their national exams a week later.