Shock as 21-year-old woman douses herself in paraffin, lights fire

PARAFFIN [PHOTO | COURTESY]

A 21-year-old woman from Nambale in Busia County is recuperating at the Busia County Referral Hospital after her attempt to set her body on fire last weekend was thwarted.

Carolyne Nafula doused herself in paraffin at Mungatsi area, and thereafter, lit a fire.

She, however, was rescued by residents, who wrapped her in a blanket, and, thereafter, rushed her to hospital.

The reason(s) for Nafula’s actions remain unclear.

“If there was no one to wrap a blanket around my daughter, she would have died. She sustained serious burn wounds,” said Nafula’s father Charles Ouma.

“No one quarreled her. So, I don’t know why she lit herself up. However, she had just returned from the hospital, and, thereafter, doused herself in paraffin. Her health records book was there on the table, when the incident happened. I wasn’t at her house, when she was setting herself alight. She lives alone. I had given her a house built on one of my parcels of land. Her mother left her with me, and given Nafula has come of age, I could not stay with her in the same house. Though, I help her, when she requests and when I can,” said Ouma.

Nambale police have launched an investigation into the incident.

tagged in:


Categories: Uncategorized | Comments