A seven-day-old baby boy was left with second-degree burns on his hands, ears, back and limbs shortly after he was born Friday 26 August at Kibugu dispensary in Embu County.
The nurse on duty at the time of the incident is reported to have placed the infant on a procedural heater – which ended up hurting the baby.
Beatrice Nduta, mother of the 7-day-old, says she had a safe delivery after being rushed to the maternal facility at 2am while on labor.
“After I had delivered at around 5am, the nurse decided to place my healthy boy in heater as procedure,” Ms Nduta said. “Minutes later, she asked if my baby would stay at the hospital for few more days, as she would be applying some medicine on him.”
Ms Nduta says she grew worried after she was discharged from the facility, and her baby was admitted. Her husband, Paul Nyaga Ndigwa, said he asked his wife to visit the hospital to inquire why the baby was discharged before he healed.
“When we visited the hospital, the nurse in-charge asked us not to raise a complaint as she will be treating the child until the burns are healed,” Nyaga told eDaily. “The boy’s condition was getting worse, so we decided to seek help at Embu Level Five Hospital.”
The couple alleges that their effort to get a written referral letter from Kibugu dispensary went unanswered as the nurse insisted the child burn incident was an accident – caused by a faulty machine.
According to the couple, the nurse is to blame for negligence and there said they will seek for justice for their baby boy.
Efforts to reach the health facility for comment bore no fruit at the time of press.
Story by Anthony Ndigwa