Martha Karua’s niece, one of Daystar University students, killed in Mombasa road crash


NARC-Kenya Party Leader Martha Karua is mourning the death of her niece, Marcia Wawira Mwangi, who died after a grisly road accident on Mombasa road on Sunday morning (April 23).

Ms Wawira, who was a Fourth Year student at Daystar University, was rushed to Nairobi West Hospital in critical condition after the car she and four of her colleagues were driving in, hit a trailer on the rear and rolled over.

“Marcia’s knee had been hurt badly and so the doctors decided to do a surgery on the knee. After the surgery, she couldn’t wake up.  She was then taken to the ICU where she was under oxygen support but unfortunately, she couldn’t make it,” Johny Bravo, a student who was in hospital with her, told Daystar University’s publication Involvement News.

“This really hurts, we have lost yet another precious life,” John Brian, the students’ governing council Chairman, said.

Informing Kenyans about the death of her niece, Martha Karua said: “Marcia Wawira Mwangi, my beloved niece, succumbed today (Monday, April 24) to injuries following a road accident. She will forever live in our hearts.”

Ms Wawira’s death comes just a day after one of her friends, who was the driver of the car, Arnold Mutisya, succumbed to his injuries minutes past 7am Sunday.

Mr Mutisya was trying to overtake a trailer on Mombasa Road, when he rammed into the trailer’s rear wheels, consequently losing control of the car, which careened off the road and rolled severally before landing into a ditch. Mr Mutisya died on the spot.

The students were coming from club 1824 on Lang’ata road after the annual Daystar Star of Excellence Awards ceremony (SOEA), which took place at Two Rivers Mall Saturday night (April 22).

“I still can’t believe it. It’s sad that the Arnold I was with just yesterday is no more. I was shocked when I got a call that Arnold had passed away.” Naomi Nduko, who lived in the same hostel block with the deceased told Involvement News.

The survivors of the accident were rushed to Shalom Hospital for first aid treatment before being transferred to Nairobi West Hospital, where Marcia Wawira was later pronounced dead.

One of the students is still admitted at the Nairobi West Hospital, while the other two, who sustained minor injuries, were treated and discharged.

Mr Mutisya’s body was taken to City mortuary.

tagged in:

Categories: Uncategorized | Comments