Ksh.1.2M up for grabs at 2016 Machakos Film Festival

Filmmakers stand a chance to win a whopping Ksh.1.2 million at this year’s Machakos Film Festival, Ksh. 200,000 more than the 2015 cash prize.

The festival’s main aim is to nurture and promote young talent within the film industry, in order to further impact on an upward progress of the creative industry not only within the county but also in Kenya.

Interested in submitting a film? Well, your entry can be in any Kenyan language, and it should not exceed 7 minutes in length. All content should be original, and if you use music that’s not yours, you must have written permission from the copyright owner.

Entries from around the country are welcome, as long as they ensure that their short films include a scene shot in Machakos County.

To make things a bit easier for filmmakers, Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua announced that all filming charges and levies were completely waived.

“We want you to come and make films here in Machakos so you should not be harassed to come and make films in Machakos County,” the governor said speaking during the launch of the festival.

He further added that their studios will be available for use by filmmakers and they will not incur any costs to use them.

The cash prizes are as follows:

Main Category

Winner – Ksh. 1.2 million

1st runners up – Ksh 500,000

2nd runners up – Ksh. 250,000

3rd runners up – Ksh 100,000

Schools category

Winners – Ksh 250,000

1st runners up – Ksh 100,000

2nd runners up – Ksh 50,000

Entries deadline is on December 4, 2016. A judging panel will be selected on December 6, 2016 which will then be tasked to deliberate on the finalists from December 7, 2016 to December 12, 2016.

The public will also get a chance to vote for their favorite film using online platforms.

Machawood CEO Victor Muniafu confirmed that 70% of the votes will be from the judging panel while the remaining 30% will be from the public.

He further added that the festival would serve as a strategy to help promote tourism in Machakos County.

The award ceremony is scheduled for December 18, 2016.

tagged in:

Categories: Uncategorized | Comments