KCSE candidate dies after ‘consuming methanol’, another loses eyesight

A Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) candidate in Elgeyo Marakwet has died after he allegedly consumed methanol.

Reports indicate that the deadly chemical may have been stolen from a laboratory in Barsumbat Secondary School, where the student studies.

Another student is said to have lost his eyesight after consuming the same substance.

Sub-County Director of Education in the region, Evans Onyancha, confirmed the incident and revealed that the second victim was a Form Three student.

He, however, dismissed claims that the students were affected after drinking methanol.

According to him, they had gone on a chang’aa (illicit brew) drinking spree outside the school.

tagged in:

Categories: Uncategorized | Comments