Fire destroys posh Kenyan hotel

Property of unknown value was on Saturday afternoon reduced to rubble when a fire destroyed sections of the Majlis Resort which is situated on Manda Island, Lamu County.

Guests who were having lunch at the time escaped unscathed from the fire.

According to Majlis Resort staff, Onesmus Kazungu, the fire broke out in the kitchen before spreading to other areas of the hotel.

The palm thatch roof of a bar at the luxury hotel was razed by the raging fire.

Mr Kazungu said he saw huge clouds of smoke coming from the chimney of the kitchen before raising the alarm.

Staff members at the hotel and Good Samaritans helped put out the fire before it could reduce the entire facility to ashes.

The hotel’s management says damage to property by the fire has dealt them a blow, given it is a peak holiday season in Lamu.

 

tagged in:


Categories: Uncategorized | Comments