Ex-street boy Hinga out of rehab after 8 months, resolves differences with mother


Former street boy Patrick Hinga and his mother Nancy Wanjiru have agreed to work together to manage Mr Hinga’s shop located in Ruai, Kiambu County.

According to Wanja Mwaura, Mr Hinga’s rescuer, the ex-street boy approached her on Tuesday evening and revealed that he’d had a misunderstanding with his mother about the running of the facility.

“Ms Wanjiru was thinking Mr Hinga, who returned home from rehab a week ago, was not in the right state to run the shop. They have, however, resolved that Mr Hinga will run the shop operations while Ms Wanjiru will keep record of the finances to ensure stability. They will co-operate and work together,” said Ms Mwaura.

Ms Wanjiru was running the shop, when Mr Hinga was in rehab in Nairobi. The shop was put up in January, 2018 using money raised by well-wishers.

Ms Mwaura has also clarified that Mr Hinga, who underwent an eight-month treatment for drug addiction, has not relapsed, contrary to reports doing the rounds on social media that he was spotted looking dejected in Wangige Market on Tuesday.

Mr Hinga’s story hogged media headlines – both nationally and internationally – in October, 2017, when pictures of him and Ms Wanja, his former schoolmate, went viral on social media.

The pictures – deservedly – spread widely online because Ms Mwaura bumped into Mr Hinga, who was wandering on the street, and immediately took it upon herself to help him restore a social status, and true to her effort, the overcritical online community approved of her compassion.

It was early October, 2017, when Wanja Mwaura, who was on her way to the market in Lower Kabete heard someone shout out her name.

She looked up and was surprised to see a tall man with bulging eyes, a reduced frame, dirtied black overalls and an equally stained thick woolen hat, sitting on the side of the road. She did not manage to immediately establish who he was.

But when Mr Hinga introduced himself, Wanja Mwaura said shock shook her; her friend, whom she studied with in primary school in 1992, when she was 7-years-old, had turned out to be what she did not expect – a street boy, a drug addict.

Ms Wanja would, thereafter, give her contact to Mr Hinga, who promised to keep in touch.

She was his guardian angel; called her when he could – after borrowing strangers’ cell phones – and the communication pattern sooner, thereafter, became more circular.

Ms Wanja, thereafter, enrolled Mr Hinga into a drug rehabilitation centre in Nairobi. He was discharged from the facility last week.



tagged in:

Categories: Uncategorized | Comments