Crew of burnt Rongai matatu had made news for wrong reasons last October

MATATU

A crew member of a 33-seater-matatu plying Ongata Rongai–Nairobi CBD route that was set ablaze on Lang’ata Road on Saturday, February 4, had last October bitten the lip of a passenger, before stealing his wallet and a smartphone.

The passenger, who was identified as Bernard Chege, was bitten after a row with the “conductor”.

A commotion ensued when the “conductor” of matatu registration number KCB 632M attempted to steal Mr Chege’s wallet and when Chege resisted, the “conductor” bit off his upper lip.

Ongata Rongai police boss then ordered the arrest of the suspect, who remained at large.

The matatu driver would later apologise to Mr Chege and offer to foot his hospital bill and return the wallet and phone that had been stolen from him.

Three months later, the same matatu – of registration number KCB 632M – fatally hit a cyclist near Uhuru Gardens on Lang’ata Road.

However, this time round angry boda boda operators burned it down.

Confirming the incident, Lang’ata OCPD Elijah Maina Mwangi, cautioned Kenyans against taking the law into their own hands when aggrieved at an unfortunate incident.

“It was a fatal accident where a cyclist was knocked down by a 33-seater matatu which was headed to Nairobi CBD from Rongai. It is alleged that angry boda boda riders operating on Lang’ata Road torched the vehicle. We are investigating the same,” Mr Mwangi told EDAILY.

“We are not happy with people taking law into their own hands. Now we have two cases to investigate – that of the accident and that of torching the matatu. It is not the right way to do things.”

The owner of the matatu, registered under Rongao Sacco, was given seven days to produce the driver, who ran away after fatally hitting the cyclist, who was in his early twenties.

Passengers in the matatu were evacuated to safety.

Following the incident, police arrested 23 boda boda operators believed to have been involved in the setting ablaze of the Rongao Sacco matatu.

Police spokesman George Kinoti, in a statement on Sunday evening, said the suspects will be arraigned in court once investigations are concluded.

 

 

 

tagged in:


Categories: Uncategorized | Comments