cad_enews_detail_top_right_add
STEVE MBOGO [PHOTO | COURTESY]

Bulletproof-clad Steve Mbogo explains his presence at 14 Riverside during terror attack

Former Starehe parliamentary aspirant on ODM ticket, Steve Mbogo, has spoken out on a viral picture showing him holding a sophisticated firearm while sporting a bullet proof vest at the 14 Riverside Drive in Nairobi on Tuesday afternoon during a terror attack.

Kenyans online questioned the capacity Steve Mbogo occupied as he went to the terror front in a fashion akin to a top specialised anti-terror officer.

EDAILY reached him on phone Tuesday evening.

Mr Mbogo said he went to the terror front as a “licensed firearms holder, who was willing to help”.

“I am a licensed firearms holder. I was running my errands near the dusitD2 Hotel here in Nairobi, when I learnt that the facility was under a terror attack. Because I was in a position to help, given I have good knowledge on how to handle firearms and protect myself against such situations, I went in to help in the rescue operations. If you are asking in what capacity I was there, I would tell you: I was there as a civilian, who is mandated by law to handle firearms,” Mr Mbogo told EDAILY.

When pressed to explain if he – always – walks or drives around with such classy automatic rifles, Mr Mbogo said: “Such questions are not relevant as of now.”

Steve Mbogo was also put to task to explain the circumstances in which he owns a bulletproof vest, which, according to Kenyan law, is nearly impossible for a civilian to posses.

In his response, he said: “I am still occupied with rescue operations. Let me take cover and then I will speak to you later.”

Until that question was posed to him, Steve Mbogo gave “updates” on what was transpiring at the dusitD2 Hotel.

“So far, the Recce Squad agents have gained access into the hotel. I understand that the terrorists are still holed up inside the facility, and have been boxed to one corner of the hotel. Gunshots are still rending the air. However, all signs show that the situation is going to be contained,” he said.

DusitD2 Hotel was attacked by unknown gunmen, said to be six in number, at 3pm Tuesday.

Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack, which has left several wounded with some occupants feared dead.

Police are yet to give official figures of those affected in the terror attack.

For eDaily updates
Join @edailykenya Telegram channel


EDITORIAL POLICY: Permission to use quotation from this article is granted subject to full credit of source being given by referencing the direct link of the article on edaily.co.ke

must read


Related Articles

Videos /Willy Paul and Nandy in n...
Videos /Nairobi lady: Men, don’...
Videos /Willy Paul goes for love ...
Videos /Ex-Tatuu member, Shinde, ...
Videos /Nandy returns fresh, reju...