You probably have at least one box of baking soda in your home. You might have a box in your pantry for baking, one in your refrigerator to absorb odors and another under your kitchen sink to use for cleaning.
What you might not have considered is that baking soda can be used for health purposes, too, so you might want to stash another box in your medicine cabinet.
6 Ways to Use Baking Soda for Your Health
1.Treats body odor
Baking soda is one of the best natural deodorizers that help treat mild to severe body odor. It helps absorb moisture and sweat from the skin, thereby reducing body odor. Being an antibacterial agent, it also helps kill bacteria that give rise to body odor.
- Combine an ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of water and a few drops of any essential oil.
- Use a cotton ball to rub it on your underarms or areas where you sweat excessively. Use it regularly to fight body odor.
Alternatively, thoroughly mix equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch. Dust this powder onto your dry underarms to prevent sweating as well as bad odor.
2.Treats stained nails.
Stained nails can be unsightly, but baking soda can whiten your nails so you do not have to hide them in your pockets or gloves bleaching and exfoliating properties help remove stains.
- Put ½ cup of water, 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a small bowl.
- Stir well, until the baking soda dissolves. Dip your nails into the solution for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat once every two weeks.
Alternatively, mix 2½ tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Use a cotton swab to apply it on your nails. Wait 2 minutes before rinsing your nails with warm water. For best results, repeat once every 2 months.
3.Improves body complexions.
It is a good exfoliating agent that helps remove dead cells. In addition, it balances pH level of the skin, which is very important to maintain even and clear skin.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough filtered water or rose water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your face. Allow it to sit for 1 minute, and then gently rub it off using only the tips of your fingers.
- Finally, wash with lukewarm water and pat dry to reveal brighter skin. Follow this remedy 1 or 2 times a week only. Make sure to moisturize your skin after using baking soda.
Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and fresh lemon juice along with 4 or 5 drops of extra-virgin olive oil. Apply this paste on your face. Leave it on for 5 minutes, and then rinse it off with cold water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
Uneven skin tone is a major problem for many. If you want a brighter and even skin tone, baking soda is an easy and inexpensive solution.
4. Removes sunburn blisters
During the summer, keep a box of baking soda handy. Due to its alkaline nature, baking soda has a soothing effect on sunburned skin, which helps relieve the itching and burning sensations. It also has mild antiseptic and drying properties that help dry out sunburn blisters quickly.
- Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of cold water. Soak a clean washcloth in this solution, wring out the excess water and apply it as a cool compress on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until you get relief.
- Alternatively, add ½ cup of baking soda to a bathtub filled with water. Stir well and soak yourself in this water for 10 to 15 minutes. After getting out of the bath, pat dry or allow your body to air dry. Do this once daily for a few days.
5. Getting rid of acne or pimples
To get rid of acne or pimples, you do not need harsh chemicals. Baking soda will do the work easily. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of this kitchen staple help treat the cause as well as reduce the symptoms of acne and other breakouts.
In addition, it helps balance the skin’s pH, which helps reduce the occurrence of skin breakouts.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a little water to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected skin for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.Repeat once daily for 2 or 3 days, then reduce the frequency to 1 or 2 times a week.
6.Brighten stained or yellow teeth.
Baking soda is excellent for making your pearly whites shine. It works as a mild abrasive to remove yellow stains from your teeth. In addition, it helps remove plaque by neutralizing acids produced by the bacteria.
- You can simply put a little baking soda on your toothbrush along with your regular toothpaste. Brush your teeth as usual for 2 minutes. Do it once daily for a few days.