So you are walking around town, minding your own business when all of a sudden there is some commotion.
Looking around, you notice that you have stumbled into a protest. Police are engaging demonstrators in running battles, and you are caught in the melee.
As you try to make your way out of the mayhem, you see a smoking canister flying through the air. You begin to choke. Your eyes begin to sting.
You realize that you have been teargased.
Should you find yourself in such a situation, here are 10 things you should do if you find yourself in that situation.
- Do not panic. Do not assume you are being shot at; ensure you look up to stay clear off the path of the grenade.
- Cover your eyes- you can use a handkerchief ,soaked paper towel or a scarf.
- Escape to high ground- like a hill or building roof top. The gas stays low to the ground and high ground.
- Remove your contact lenses if you are wearing any as they are not washable.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, nose and mouth with your fingers as this will increase the burning effect.
- Watch for footsteps least you fall only to be trampled on
- Wash your eyes and skin. Exposed skin should be washed with soap and water while exposed eyes should be washed with sterile water until the stinging begins to abate.
- Do not touch a gas canister with bare hands; once discharged its very hot.